Sascha Mehlhase, promovierter Physiker am Niels-Bohr-Institut der Uni Kopenhagen arbeitend, hat den Teilchendetektor ATLAS am LHC in Lego nachgebaut. Higgs, Higgs, Hurra!
As part of an outreach project at the Niels Bohr Institute I have recently designed a model of the ATLAS experiment in LEGO® bricks. It illustrates all details, from the muon and magnet system to the innermost pixel detector and will hopefully be a great eye-catcher for all generations. Here's some key features:(via reddit)
- about 9500 pieces
- roughly 1:50 in scale (close to scale with the LEGO® man)
- material cost of about 2000 Euros (payed by the high energy physics group at the Niels Bohr Institute)
- about 1 m x 0.5 m x 0.5 m in size
- approximately 33 hours construction time (spread out over several weekends and after hours)
- around 48 hours to build the 3D model (a one-timer though)