Fotos von Ladenfassaden im Londoner East End von 1988


Bei Spitalfields Life gibt es zwei tolle Postings mit wunderbaren Fotos von Alan Dein, der 1988 im Londoner East End die Fassaden von jüdischen Geschäften porträtiert hat, die damals teils schon aufgegeben worden waren, teils vor der Schließung standen:
“My photographs of the derelict shopfronts record the last moments of the Jewish community in the area – the bustling world of the inter-war years had been moved into the suburbs, and the community that stayed behind was less identifiable. In the nineteen eighties they were just hanging on, some premises had been empty for more than five years. Like a mouthful of broken teeth, a boxer’s mouth that had been thumped, with holes where teeth once were ... Later, in 1988, I moved back here to live in a co-operative housing scheme in Whitehorse Rd in Stepney and then I had time to walk around in this landscape that evoked the fragmentary stories I had heard of my grandparents’ lives in the East End ... The eighties were a terrible time for removing everything, comparable to what the Victorians had done a century earlier. So I photographed the shopfronts because this landscape was not going to last and then I put the pictures in a box." Alan Dein, East End Shopfronts 1988 und More East End Shopfronts of 1988
(via How to be a Retronaut)
blog comments powered by Disqus